You can send texts from Roll Call’s check in system. To do this, you’ll first need to set up the texting preferences in Roll Call. There are two methods of sending texts from Roll Call. The first method is free and uses email to send the text. To use this method you will need to know the cell phone number plus the cell phone carrier. You will also need your Email Settings configured properly. The second method is to use the SMS Service from NexMo. Your church will need to set up an account with NexMo.
My Email Settings
If your organization will be using the Email method of sending Texts, make sure to configure the following settings:
- Expand the File menu on the top.
- Select My Email Settings.
- Choose your preference for Plain Text or HTML emails.
- Enter the Return Address. This is the “from” email address. If a recipient replies to the email this is the email address it will go to.
- Enter the Mail Host Name. This is the Outgoing SMTP mail address required by your email provider.
- Enter the Username and Password for this email account if your provider requires authentication.
- Mark the box for the SSL if your provider requires SSL encryption.
- Enter the Port Number, if your provider requires a specific port number.
- Enter the No Emails/Minute. Your provider may throttle the number of emails that you can send per minute. If so, enter that number here.
- Click SAVE to save these settings.
Once your email settings are configured, go to the Preference (under the Edit menu on Windows or the Roll Call menu on a Mac). Click on SMS Texting on the left sidebar. Choose the option to use Email.
If your organization will be using the SMS service from NexMo, make sure to configure the following settings:
- Select Preferences from the Edit menu at the top (Windows machines) or the Roll Call menu (Mac machines).
- Highlight SMS Texting from the left sidebar.
- Select the option to use NexMo.
- Enter the API Key provided to your organization by NexMo.
- Enter the Secret Key provided to your organization by NexMo.
- Enter the NexMo number that was provided to your organization.
- Enter any Msg Prefix. This will be in front of every text that is sent.
- Click OK to save this information.
Sending the Text
Once you have your preferences and settings configured, you are ready to send a text. To send a text from the check in system, do the following:
- Click on the Dashboard tab.
- Find the student you need to send a text for.
- Click on the text icon.
- Choose who you will send the text to.
- Type in your text message.
- Click OK to send the texts.