If you have people in your database that you would like to delete, this can be done. If they contributed, you’ll first need to transfer their contributions to a “dummy” record for audit trail purposes. Once the contributions are transferred, you can delete their record from within the People Screen or the Search Profiles window.
To transfer contributions for the purposes of deleting a person’s record, you’ll want to make sure you have a “dummy” record in your database. This will become a placeholder for all contributions of deleted people. By doing this, your financial reporting will remain accurate. We recommend that you create a person with a Family Position of “Other” and the Last Name of “_Dummy”.
To transfer contributions, do the following:
- Expand the People menu.
- Pull up the record of the person who is to be deleted.
- Click on Giving on the left sidebar.
- Use the drop down in this section and select “Details”.
- Right mouse click on the grid and choose “Select All”.
- Right mouse click again and choose “Transfer”.
- Enter "Dummy” as the last name of the person that you are transferring the contributions to.
- Double click on Dummy to select this record from the list.
- A confirmation message will ask if you are sure you wish to transfer these contributions.
- Click OK to complete the transfer.
- A log will be displayed showing the success or failure of the transfer. Click CLOSE to close the log file.